In an effort to watch less garbage and more movies that are edifying to our souls, Deb and I started watching Christian/Faith based movies through Netflix awhile back. I realized pretty quickly that finding these movies on Netflix wasn't as easy as I thought it would be because there is no category for Christian movies. So as I found more movies I added them to our queue. After watching a bunch I decided to make this list to share it with others out there that might be doing the same thing we are.
This list is going to grow as I will try to update it frequently as we watch more movies. If you have a movie you would like to recommend us watching so we can add it to this list, please leave a comment and I most likely add it to our queue.
I would like to say that we don't necessarily agree completely with the doctrine or theology in all these movies. So a movie being on this list does not mean we endorse it in that way. Some movies I wrote a note about, others I took the description directly from Netflix.
1. The Hiding Place - Based on the story of Corrie ten Boom and her family sheltering Jews in their house to keep them from the Nazi's. This is an amazing story that shows servitude, forgiveness and reliance on God.
2. Amish Grace - Incredible movie based off of the true story of the Amish School shooting. The forgiveness displayed in this movie is amazing. The acting is also very good.
3. Amazing Grace - "The story of William Wilberforce (Ioan Gruffudd), an 18th-century English politician who fought for the abolition of slavery." *
4. Love Comes Softly - (1st in Series)"In the wake of her husband's death, newly widowed pioneer woman Marty tries to survive life on the open range by heeding the advice of friends (Corbin Bernsen and Theresa Russell), marrying a man she doesn't love and caring for his child." *
5. The Last Sin Eater - I was hesitant about this one because the title seemed kind of odd, but this movie was really good. I definitely liked it a little more than Deb, although she liked it too. I think she might have had this one a few spots lower though.
6. The Ultimate Gift - "When his wealthy grandfather finally dies, Jason Stevens fully expects to benefit when it comes to the reading of the will. But instead of a sizable inheritance, Jason receives a test, a series of tasks he must complete before he can get any money." *
7. Love's Enduring Promise - (2nd in Series)"The Davis family's farm is threatened after Clark suffers an injury. A stranger comes to the family's aid and falls in love with Clark's daughter Missie." *
8. The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry - This is a good movie that shows how the actions of one person can significantly impact many others, in a good way in this case. (Available to watch Instantly)
9. Flywheel - "Dishonest used-car salesman Jay Austin reaches an important turning point in his life when he finally realizes the errors of his ways and sets out to win back the love and trust of his wife, his son and the community." *
10. Saving Sarah Cain - Between Amish Grace and this movie its hard not falling in love with the amish. In this one, an Amish woman dies, leaving her children to her sister who lives in the big city. I'm thinking about submitting the two Amish movies to duke it out on film feuds.
Pretty Good Movies
11. Love's Abiding Joy (4th in Series)- "Homesteaders Missie and Willie LaHaye are struggling to raise a family on their farm in the Old West. When Missie's father arrives for a visit on the newly built railroad line, an unexpected tragedy will test the family's love and faith." *
12. Love's Long Journey (3rd in Series)- "Brimming with pioneer spirit, young marrieds Missie and Willie LaHaye hit the trail west in a covered wagon, intending to set down roots as homesteaders. But while she's elated at the adventure that awaits, Missie's feeling the loss of her kinfolk. Armed with faith and fortitude, the couple seeks out "family" in their new home, fortuitously finding it in unexpected places."*
13. The Lost and Found Family- "In this inspirational family drama, the luxurious lifestyle Ester Hobbes leads is shattered by the death of her husband. Left with nothing but a house rented to a foster family, Ester soon finds a deeper purpose in life. Forced to move in, she plans to sell the home, but her growing faith and attachment to troubled teen Justin and the others lead her on a divine journey as all their lives are transformed."*
14. Like Dandelion Dust - This is a story about an adoptive family who after raising their son for 8 years is threatened with losing him. This movie was produced by fox faith, which is why I added it to the queue. But, this movie has very little to due with God. It is a good movie though and I thought the acting was very good.
Just Okay Movies
15. Love's Unfolding Dream (6th in Series)-"In this installment of author Janette Oke's frontier saga, 18-year-old aspiring doctor Belinda Tyler finds herself torn between love and the medical profession. While proving her skills working as an apprentice to the town physician, Belinda loses her heart to newly arrived young attorney Drew Simpson"*
16. Letters to God - "Tyler Doherty, an 8-year-old boy who battles brain cancer and turns to God as his own private pen pal. Tyler writes and mails his missives daily, and his steadfast undertaking not only moves his family and friends, but it also alters the life of despairing postman."* (Available to watch Instantly)
17. Love's Unending Legacy(5th in Series)-"This entry in the frontier saga about the spirited LaHaye family finds widow Missie moving back to her father's ranch with her son when she's forced to give up her land. On a whim, she adopts a teenage orphan but has trouble bonding with the girl -- who's harboring a secret. Meanwhile, Missie begins to have feelings for the town sheriff, Zach Tyler"*
18. The Trial- "Following the death of his wife and sons, small-town lawyer "Mac" McClain has lost the will to live, but he sets aside despair to defend young Pete Thomason in a high-stakes case involving first-degree murder."*
Not So Good Movies
19. Last Flight Out- "With a gang of drug runners closing in on the remote Colombian village of Alto Risco and threatening to take over, time is running short for medical missionary Ann Williams in this faith-based adventure"*
20. The List- "After his father's sudden death, Renny Jacobson's only inheritance is an interest in something called the Covenant List of South Carolina. He soon discovers that all those connected with the list inherit both untold fortune -- and an ancient curse. Bound to the Covenant by blood, Renny fights to escape his evil destiny"*
* Quote from Netflix Movie description