Thursday, June 7, 2012

How to Love God More


A week ago in Sunday School, we discussed the command in Deuteronomy 6:5 "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might." This verse rightly convicts every single person on the earth because none of us loves God the way he ought to be loved. This is a stark contrast to our Lord Jesus who lived on earth for 33 years and for every second loved His Father with all his heart, soul, mind and might.

So as a Christian, I want to love God more and I know I fail miserably. So how do I do it? How do I love God more? This was more or less the question we discussed in Sunday School and some solid biblically accurate ideas were brought up. The one that was most convincing to me was through coming to a greater realization of my sin.

"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.”
Luke 7:47

This verse shows that being forgiven much leads to loving much while being forgiven little leads to loving little. So to love God much we simply need to be forgiven much. GOOD NEWS!!! I HAVE been forgiven much. In fact, every day I am forgiven much. These steps play out in my life all the time.

  1. God shows me a way that I have been selfish and/or prideful. 
  2. I am saddened
  3. I  cling to Jesus(sometimes not as quickly as I should)
  4. I am reassured that this sin won't be counted against me because Jesus already suffered God's wrath for it. 
  5. I love God More. How could I not?

So a key to loving God more is having a greater realization of how sinful I am. How often I sin. How disgusting and unjust my sin is.

So the answer to one question leads me to another. How do I get a greater realization of my sin?

Ask God.

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
     Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!
Psalm 139:23-24

It all comes back to Jesus.

  • He loves me and commands me to love him. 
  • He ordains the way that increases love(realization of the depth of forgiveness). 
  • He suffers His own wrath and forgives me. 
  • He shows me the sin in my life that he has already suffered for. 
  • He leads me to cling to Him to more and more. 
Its all about Jesus. Praise Him and love him MORE!

-John